Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pearl of the Week

My great friend (and fellow English teacher) Heather taught me the term "Pearl of the Day." She uses it in her room, but to me it means finding at least one thing that just makes your day.

Today I had a small moment, but it was good enough to be dubbed the Pearl of the Week because it warmed me heart so much.

Anyone who knows me would consider it an understatement for me to say I love my students. I mean, I REALLY LOVE my students. I genuinely care about them, want to know how they are doing, rejoice with them in triumph, and feel their pain when things are tough. This extends beyond my classroom walls. For the first time, I know students in all three grades. Lucky for me, the health teacher's classroom is at the end of the 6th grade hallway. Since health is a class required for everyone every year of middle school, I have the pleasure of seeing my former students (now in 7th and 8th grade) pass my door each day to go to health. Throughout the course of the year, I will have seen every single student I have taught since beginning of this teaching journey. I can catch a cool "Hey Ms. Walker" from Jimmy or Joey, slap Wyatt a quick high-five, smile as Maryknoll joyfully waves good morning, pat Lily on the back to tell her she did great on the morning announcements, and enjoy my daily dose of high pitched, joyful squealing when I see Annika turn the corner. Little do they know, that this is one of my most favorite times of the day. More than anything I just I want to grab them, hug them, have them tell me all about what is new with them... except that I have a class and they can't be late. So I dawn my brightest and cheeriest smile, wave furiously, and greet them as they pass my door.

But today, I had an interaction with one of my dearest former students that warmed my heart and brought tears to my eyes.

Her name is Emma. She was a student in my class my very first year of teaching. She is one of those students that even when everything seems to be going to rot, kids are talking and not listening, and you feel like you are ineffective... you can look at Emma and she will be doing everything you've ever hoped a well-behaved, intelligent student would do. She is a BRILLIANT writer and worked the hardest I've ever seen a student because her goal since day one of walking into my room was "Ms. Walker, I want to be in GT." And by golly, that girl made it. She is sweet, kind, and her smile can light up the room. She also can sing like an angel. During my first year (and subsequent years) our team leader, Mr. Clifford, would joke around about the little "Mini Ms. Walkers" - the students he believed wanted to be me because they thought I was so cool. Emma was one of Mr. Clifford's "Mini Ms. Walkers"

On the last day of school that year, Emma brought me a letter she had written about all the things she loved from class and all the things she was looking forward to during the summer. Her mom sent me an email raving about how much Emma was sad to leave my class.

Today, I saw Emma before school started. She, being the amazing girl she is, was helping one of our volunteers deliver fundraising packets to teachers' rooms. She passed through my room, showed her big smile, and said, "Good Morning, Ms. Walker!!!" Of course, I smiled back and said "Good Morning" and continued preparing for the day.

About 5 minutes later she came back. She walked into my room and just stood there. I looked up from hole-punching papers and she looks at me with a tinge of sadness. This was our conversation
E: "Ms. Walker.... I really miss you."
M: "Aww... Emma I really miss you, too." (And I meant it) As a joke I say, "Are you sure you don't want to come back to 6th grade?"
E: "Oh no, I know I definitely want to come back to 6th grade."
(A pause... We smile at each other... I don't know what to say)
M: "Hey, Emma, are you going to do the play this year?"
E: "Ms. Walker, are YOU going to do the play this year?"
M: "Actually, yeah, I'm going to co-direct again... this time from the beginning!" (I chuckle)
E: "Then I am DEFINITELY doing the play." (she goes to leave)
M: "Have a great day, Emma."
E: "You, too, Ms. Walker"

I LOVE that girl. It got me thinking to what will happen next year when my babies will be moving on into high school. What will it be like to wonder/worry about them and not have tons of opportunities to see them? What is that like? How will I react? And then I got sad thinking about them moving on... so I stop thinking about it... but I think I will continue to ponder this all year because it is something new and unknown.

Until then, I will keep the pearls in my pockets for when my students don't listen or I don't feel like they are understanding me. Then, I can pull a pearl out of my pocket and remember that even when I don't feel at my best, I can still love them and make a difference. Thanks, Emma... I'll be tucking this pearl close to my heart.

6 comments:

mpm said...

What a great interaction!

Re: students moving on

I don't know exactly what it will look like for you, but I bet you will see some of them from time-to-time. And I bet you will be so proud of some of them. Others you will wish that they were making better choices now, but hope for the future. And I think you will probably smile when you see any of them.

That's how it goes for me anyway. :D

amy@flexibledreams said...

Thinking about our discussion Wednesday night...

I bet that some of the kids that you wrote off, or at least expected would forever be a problem, will amaze you with their growth :)

Keep blogging your pearls. Sometimes reading back on mine is the only thing that reminds me how much I love my job.

Love or Nothing said...

meg, i am so glad you are a teacher. your heart is in it for those kids and they need that even if they don't show it or know it immediately. I LOVE YOU!

Rye said...

I often lose sight of loving my kids in the midst of the daily teaching madness and endless demands that seem important, but aren't really. Meg, I am glad you wrote this because it's reminding me of what's most important here.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had had a teacher like you, actually caring about us students... It's amazing when people really love their jobs, it can change other people's lives.

Chelseyy said...

I love how much you love teaching, its such a wonderfu exerience impacting another childs life. I know i wish i had a teacher like you in school!
I love you meghan and i miss ya!!