Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tuesday Tunes

In my entertainment world, perhaps the most exciting of the day of the week is Tuesday. Now, for you movie-buffs out there, you might say "But Meghan! How can you say that?! MOVIES come out in theaters on FRIDAYs!!!" Oh, Movie Buff, do you even know me? Do you know why Tuesday would be the best day of the week for me?! Tuesday is New Music day!!!

Music is my lifeblood. It courses through my veins in a way I cannot explain. It is how I relate to this world, and part of my ridiculous memory is intertwined in it. I think in lyrics, feel emotions in lyrics, and can explain my life through lyrics and melodies.

So, naturally, the most exciting day for me (entertainmently speaking) is Tuesday because that is the day of the week where new music comes out. In an attempt to keep myself bloggily responsible (are you liking these new words I'm inventing? I'll be calling Merriam Webster soon) I want to share some of my ideas about the new music released each Tuesday. Let's talk about this week's new releases that I'm excited about!

Released 9/16/2008:


"Thirteens" by Leona Naess
This is Leona's fourth album (my personal favorite is her self-titled, third album). Leona is a singer-song writer that hails from London, but now resides in NYC. She has an earthy, yet pure and honest sound. She is being compared to new up-and-coming artist Yael Naim and Lenka. She reminds me a little of Regina Spektor (without the crazy) and Feist. Leona first caught my attention with her song "Ballerina" that was featured in an episode of the show "Weeds". Come to find out later, she sang the harmony on one of my favorite Counting Crows' song "Black and Blue" from their album "Hard Candy." She has had other songs featured on shows/movies such as "The O.C" and "Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason." This new album excites me because it is her first release since 2003. To top it all off, Leona will be touring with Ray Lamontagne (umm... PLEASE check him out - he is INCREDIBLE) and sings on one of his songs on his brand new album "Gossip in the Grains" to be released Oct. 14th (consequently when I get to go to his show!!!) When I bought tickets for his show, I was extremely excited to see that she is the opening act. I can't wait to hear her sound live!



"Under Summer Sun" by Matt Wertz
Matt Wertz has been one of those underground names, similar to that of Stephen Speaks, amongst my group of friends. I remember running into Matt Wertz songs when Kazaa was popular and music downloading didn't have the penalties it does now. I have a CD I made of his songs and thought how real and soulful his voice and lyrics were, plus, he loved Jesus! Matt spent his time gaining popularity through playing at Young Life camps (and his best friend happens to be Dave Barnes.. umm... sweet!) Matt has toured with acts such as Jars of Clay, Matt Nathanson (i LOVE him), and Jason Mraz. Though this is Matt's 5th album, the time has finally come for Matt to break out from the indie world and into the light of mainstream! Recently, Matt has been on tour with Gavin Degraw, and he is finally beginning to get the recognition for his music that he deserves. While the jump into mainstream means adding more than just the simple and beautiful acoustics, I think this album can do Matt some good as well as bring his music to the masses. My favorite acoustic song, "Red Meets Blue" makes it onto this album with a fuller band sound. Overall, Matt's music is touching to the soul and his voice can make you swoon. Here's to Matt's continued success and let's see what this album could do for his career (perhaps a headlining tour?)


"Keep Coming Back" by Marc Broussard
I was first introduced to Marc by my dear friend, and fellow music junkie, Joe Link. Marc's album "Carencro" hooked me within notes. His voice is full of soul (which makes sense because he's a Louisiana boy). I mean, this dude, can SING! His music is like a mix of R&B, rock, pop, soul, funk... and the kitchen sink. This is his third album (and he's only 2 years older than me!!!) Besides his music, he has toured with some of the BIG dogs of music: Dave Matthews Band, O.A.R, Willie Nelson, Bonnie Raitt; as well as some of my favorite smaller names Sara Bareilles (who collaborates with him on one song on this new album and Marc joins her tour this fall) and Josh Kelley (who I met at SU!!!). This album already seems like it will not disappoint - still bringing Marc's smooth and soulful voice with the fun of the light beats and catchy melodies. Marc... are you coming to town any time soon?!


So, if you're in the mood for something good or need to try some new music, check these folks out! And check back here next week for some more music updates!!! :)

3 comments:

Love or Nothing said...

best post ever haha

yeah matt is awesome, he just got signed (finally lol). miss you my love!

ps. if you haven't already... listen to joshua radin & greg laswell.

amy@flexibledreams said...

Can you make me a mix CD of some good, new music? I'm kind of lost and I totally trust you.

Rye said...

Meg, your bloggin' skills are fierce. check out this post. you've got IMAGES, LINKS, straight up thorough and professional. crazy eProps.