Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Being a Teacher Is Like Being A Rockstar

I'm not kidding... today, I felt like a rock star. Ok, so this might be the biggest understatement of the year, but I have LOVED (and really LOVED) 99% of my students for the past two years - probably more so than a normal person would. I cannot help it! My ultimate goal, moreso than any other thing on the curriculum, is to make my students feel safe, feel important, and feel taken care of. I do things purposefully to build relationships with each one of them because I truly care about each one of them. I am seeing the fruit of these investments as time goes on. Which brings me to feeling like a rockstar today.

This year, my students from my first year of teaching are in 8th grade and my loves from last year are in 7th grade. Yesterday, I had a handful of 7th graders stop by to say hi and tell me about their summers.

However, today, there were 3 occasions where 8th graders came SCREAMING "Ms. Walker! Ms. Walker!" down the hallway, only to practically tackle me to the floor with hugs and "I miss you! Why aren't you teaching 8th grade?!" Is this what it's like to be one of the Jonas Brothers??? (jk) It really made me laugh (and of course, I was happy to see them as well). And it gave me that warm feeling inside. These girls know that I adore them and I care about them.

I just loving teaching - it is so rewarding. Even on my toughest days when I feel like I have nothing left, my students can make me smile. Getting waves, smiles, and high fives down the hallway - man there is nothing like it! Thank you, Jesus, for putting me here in this place. There were times where I was unsure, when I was scared, but time and time again, you remind me that you have me exactly where you want me and need me. :)

Anyway, I've had some people ask, so I will leave you with some pictures of my classroom! Trust me, it does not usually look this neat.... it has only been 2 days! hahaha
My second favorite bulletin board of the year (my first happens 3rd quarter). The welcome board with all of my students on it and my supply shelf! :) (like my pencil holder?)


The back of my room


The front view from the inner pod door


The front of my room! (That chair is deceiving... I never sit! haha)



It's been two days... I'm starting to remember how to do this whole "school" thing again. :)


4 comments:

amy@flexibledreams said...

Your room looks great! I'm so glad this year is starting out great. I have school supplies for you to add to that shelf. Don't forget to get them from me tonight.

amyB said...

Man, I wish I was in your class growing up!! Your room looks awesome!! And LOVE LOVE LOVE the projector!! If you ever need anyone to write on the projector sheets for you...LET ME KNOW. I'm obsessed.

:) Heart you, Meggo!

Randy and Terry said...

Meg, I am NOT surprised that you have students attacking you in the hallway! You are filled with love and it is obvious to anyone who talks to you for a nanosecond. Those students are blessed to have had you as a teacher and your current students will receive those same blessings as the year progresses. If only the education world could clone you! :)

Rye said...

Oh man, Meg, your room is looking way nicer than mine at the moment.

rock on!