Sunday, August 24, 2008

Last Week of Freedom

This past week I found myself back in my classroom, excited for the new year, slightly overwhelmed with my new roles this year, frustrated at our MSA scores, happy to finally know most of the kids in the whole school because it's my third year, and slightly sad that I don't get to teach my lovelies from last year (they stole my heart). I really can't wait for the new year to start. Usually the night before school leaves me feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve - I usually can't sleep because of the excitement and anticipation. We'll have to see what happens tonight.

Anyway, last week also brought some fun and excitement outside of the classroom as well. On Thursday night, I had the lovely opportunity to go to dinner in Annapolis with some very important friends. My dear friend, Brad, was visiting here in MD after being in Laos for some time teaching English. He goes back Sept. 2nd, but stopped down here for a visit (his family lives in NJ). So, to celebrate him, some friends from college organized a dinner. These are friends I haven't seen 3, 4, 5, years!!!!! They were juniors and seniors when I was a freshman and sophomore in college. They played huge roles in my spiritual growth and life in Salisbury. As I was anticipating this night, I found myself reminiscing about my life with these people. I would not have survived Salisbury without them. They took care of us crazy and unknowing freshman. It reminded me of a simpler time with loving and genuine people around me. Ra, Alan, and I often like to reminisce about these times because they were so important and so much fun.Jenny and Tori!
Favorite memory of Jenny: Sitting on my bed freshman year and talking for hours
Favorite memory of Tori: Having "musical day" where we could only sing all day... then she sang on the bench and fell into the bushes... where there is still a hole


Ra and Haas (Heather Haas)
Favorite memory of Ra: Too many to count... really every time I am with her
Favorite memory of Haas: Any time she sings... and getting to hang with her during musical theater

Tom and Bryan
Favorite Memory of Tom: Tom being "The Pulse", leading worship with him, and hanging in his St. Martin's room
Favorite Memory of Bryan: Being movie soulmates


The Man of the Hour! Brad!!!
Favorite Memory of Brad: Again, there are a lot - watching 24, writing songs, his radio show with Seth, stargazing, Counting Crows concert, good talks

Hayden James! (son of Tom and Renata)
Favorite Memory: The evidence on the table... coloring and counting and taking a walk around Emily's yard to find the "kitties" :)

Ok everyone who knows me knows that I cannot get enough of children. I melt into a little puddle of love and joy around kids. This is evidenced throughout my life including Hannah's birthday party (coming soon to this blog!!!) and the fact that I will play with them at a moment's notice. So, on Friday night we celebrated Emily's birthday! Wahoo! She had a party at her house... and because of my baby-blinders... the only pictures I took after taking one of Emily were of Hayden... oops.... sorry Emily!The birthday girl!!! Emily and her typical China pose. LOVE HER!

And because Hayden is soooo cute and has a great smile... all the other pictures I took were of him. So here are a few of my favorites because he is incredibly photogenic.

Playing with Vespa and Anna!



Great smile!

Great time with great friends! And now it's time for a new school year! Wahoo!!!

One more from dinner: Me, Brad, Alan, and Ra
3 of my most favorite people

1 comment:

amy@flexibledreams said...

"slightly sad that I don't get to teach my lovelies from last year (they stole my heart)"

This is almost word-for-word what you said after your first year of teaching. Imagine at the end of this year when you LOVE an entire school full of children! Your heart will be SO BIG!!